Homemade Liquid Laundry Detergent – Front or Top Load
I got this recipe from a friend who got it from a friend who got it from a friend…and so on and so on. I have no idea where this originated or I would give credit where credit was due. However, I do love this recipe, and wanted to share it with all of you. I found all the ingredients on the same shelf at Walmart for a total of $8.
Ingredients / Supplies
• 4 Cups – hot tap water
• 1 Fels-Naptha soap bar (or Ivory soap bar)
• 1 Cup Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda (make sure its washing soda not regular baking soda)
• ½ Cup Borax
• 5-gallon bucket
• Grate bar of soap and add to saucepan with water. Stir continually over medium-low heat until soap dissolves and is melted.
• Fill a 5 gallon bucket half full of hot tap water. Add melted soap, washing soda and Borax. Stir well until all powder is dissolved. Fill bucket to top with more hot water. Stir, cover and let sit overnight to thicken.
• Optional: You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil per 2 gallons. Add once soap has cooled. Ideas: lavender, rosemary, tea tree oil.
• Yield: Liquid soap recipe makes 10 gallons.
Top Load Machine – 5/8 Cup per load (Approx. 180 loads)
Front Load Machines – ¼ Cup per load (Approx. 640 loads)